Summary: Ketogenic diet has been trending for a while now, especially for its weight loss benefits. This high in saturated fat and nearly lacking carbohydrates is an extremely beneficial diet pattern for everybody in general. Here’s everything you need to know about it before you make it part of your diet and lifestyle:
Ketogenic diet has been trending for a while now, especially for its weight loss benefits. This high in saturated fat and nearly lacking carbohydrates is an extremely beneficial diet pattern for everybody in general. Here’s everything you need to know about it before you make it part of your diet and lifestyle:
WHAT IS IT?
Ketogenic diet, or keto diet is a low-carb diet, during which the body produces ketones in the liver which are used to produce energy whereas when you eat meals that are rich in carbs, the body produces glucose and insulin to provide energy to the body.
Ketosis is a natural process initiated by our body which helps us to survive when the food intake is low. In this state of body, ketones are produced in the liver by the breakdown of fats. The main agenda of following ketogenic is diet to force the body to adapt this metabolic state and it is achieved by starvation of carbs and not starvation of calories.
When you provide the body with excess fats instead of carbohydrates, it will automatically start to burn ketones as the primary energy source. Optimum level of ketone in the body offers innumerable benefits related to health, weight loss, physical and mental performance.
BENEFITS OF KETOGENIC DIET
1. Weight loss: Higher production of ketones result in lesser production of insulin, which is fat storing hormone. This turns the body into a fat burning machine, resulting in faster weight loss.
2. Controlled blood sugar: The kind of foods that are included in your keto diet are the type which automatically lowers the blood sugar level in the body. Thus, it is more effective in preventing calories than any other low-calorie diet.
3. Mental focus and health: The higher the level of ketones in the body, the better will be your mental performance. Presence of ketones act as a great source of fuel for the brain. Also, lower carb intakes lets you avoid big spikes in blood sugar. Both of these, increase the level of concentration and improves your focus. Moreover, higher intake of fatty acids benefits the brain’s functions.
4. Normalized appetite and increased energy: With more fat-intake, your body naturally feels fuller, thus keeping you satisfied for quite a long time. And as ketosis is a more reliable and better source of energy, it makes you feel energized all day long.
5. Acne: Switching to ketogenic diet automatically improves the condition of your skin. A low-carb diet prevents lesions and skin inflammation, thus causes lesser skin problems.
WHAT TO EAT ON A KETO DIET?
If following the ketogenic diet, it is extremely important that you have a full-fledged diet plan well-prepared in advance. You will have to majorly focus on lowering your carb intake to enter ketosis faster.
What to eat:
- Meats – fish, beef, lamb, poultry, eggs, etc.
- Leafy Greens – spinach, kale, etc.
- Above ground vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
- High Fat Dairy – hard cheeses, high fat cream, butter, etc.
- Nuts and seeds – macadamias, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Avocado and berries – raspberries, blackberries, and other low glycemic impact berries
- Sweeteners – stevia, erythritol, monk fruit, and other low-carb sweeteners
- Other fats – coconut oil, high-fat salad dressing, saturated fats, etc.
What to avoid:
- Grains – wheat, corn, rice, cereal, etc.
- Sugar – honey, agave, maple syrup, etc.
- Fruit – apples, bananas, oranges, etc.
- Tubers – potato, yams, etc.