Bloated stomach is nothing but swollen or full belly. It usually happens because of over eating or if there is something wrong with your digestive system. It can also happen when you eat something which does not suit your body or if you haven’t eaten anything for a long time.
Nevertheless, we have compiled a list of ways to help you beat bloated stomach:
1) Increase water intake: This is the most effective way to beat bloated stomach. Water helps in proper digestion of food, aids in other life processes and keeps you hydrated. Ideally, one should have at least 1.5litres of water every day; if consuming less, it can result in gas problems or constipation.
You can also try consuming fruit juice or herbal tea as a substitute to water.
2) Chew your food: Remember that childhood advice of chewing 32 times? Well it had scientific reasons behind it. If you swallow properly chewed food, it gets digested better. Also, chewing properly reduces your speed of eating, which eventually results in overall less food consumption. You would be more aware of your food intake quantity.
The other benefit is, you would swallow lesser air with food while eating (which is another cause of bloating).
3) Know what you eat: There are certain foods which might not be good for your digestive system. It varies from person to person. You should know what to eat and what to skip to avoid food allergies and intolerances. Commonly, fatty foods and legumes cause gas. Try cutting on that to avoid bloated stomach.
4) Eat smaller meals: Eating large quantity of meals with long gaps in between could reduce your metabolism rate and also cause in digestion. Organize your eating pattern, eat smaller portions of food at regular intervals and make sure that you don’t binge eat. Also, make sure that you are eating healthy food (no junk food). This would help you to keep a tab on your weight and also combat bloating.
5) Avoid carbonated drinks: Carbonated beverages like soda, when consumed release carbon dioxide in stomach. It will make you feel bloated. Consuming once in a blue moon is okay, but if you regularly consume carbonated drink; it’s time to say good-bye!
6) Say no to sweeteners: The so-called safer substitutes to sugar available in market are actually responsible for slowing down digestion process. Sorbitol, an artificial sweetener can’t be digested. Fructose is another problem. It is found in many processed foods and is difficult to digest. Avoid consumption of artificially processed and sweetened food. Also, avoid chewing gum. It causes bloating and isn’t good for overall health.
7) See a doctor: If you are facing chronic bloating, it is best to get it checked with a doctor. In most cases, things are not serious but precaution is always better than cure.