SUMMARY- We’ve often seen people regret cheating on their low-carb diet on a birthday party or family function or when they go out to a café or get served with a buffet. But worry no more, we’ve got your woes covered with this basic cheat-sheet of 7 amazing ideas that you can use anytime when you’re dining outside but also need to stick to low-carbs!
To all the weight-watchers out there, we have a wonderful solution to the biggest problem of your lives, that is, maintaining the low-carb diet while dining out. We’ve often seen people regret cheating on their low-carb diet on a birthday party or a family function or when they go out to a café and get served with a buffet. But worry no more, we’ve got your woes covered with this basic cheat-sheet that you can use anytime when you’re dining outside but also need to stick to low-carbs!
1. Reject and remove the starch
- No matter which restaurant or café you’re at, you’ll have to make sure you’re not consuming starch in your meal. There are a couple ways to do that, here are a few:
- Keep your plate away from bread, pasta, potatoes and rice.
- If you’re adding an entrée, you can get the starchy items substituted for salad or extra veggies.
- If you’re willing to have a sandwich or burger, you must get your buns substituted by lettuce wraps.
- Or you could just pick out the starchy items which you wish to eliminate from your meal
2. Say yes to healthy fat
Dining out doesn’t always mean binging on carbs and excluding the good fat, you can always customize your meals with a little knowledge and smartness.
- Instead of multiple dishes with carb-rich ingredients, ask for extra butter and melt it on your veggies or meat. This will make you feel full and wouldn’t affect your diet as this is a healthy fat option.
3. Be careful about sauces and condiments
There a few sauces which mostly contain just fat. Whereas, some like ketchup, are richer carbs instead. If you’re not sure about which sauce should be consumed and which not, ask for the ingredients. Those including sugar or flour or both must be avoided.
4. Be selective about your drinks
Water, sparkling water, tea, or/and coffee are amongst the most harmless drinks. But if you’re willing to go for an alcoholic one, champagne, dry wine, light beer, or spirits- straight or with club soda are some of the greatest low-carb choices!
5. When at a buffet, use a rather small plate
Go back to fill again if you’re not fully satisfied, but always try taking a small plate. It will be a reminder that you’re trying to lose weight.
6. Keep your focus on fats, veggies and proteins
Despite having plenty of other options that might distract you, you will have to stick to the healthier spots like the salad bar, vegetable platters, seafood spreads, etc.
7. Specifically for Indian dieters
- Choose ghee! Yes, you might have always thought of ghee as a fattening agent but it is not, instead, it is a perfect low-carb option since it is pure fat.
- You may also go for kebabs, curries, tandoori dishes and feel no regret. But keep away from potatoes, rice and naan.